Whether you are a teen smoker or a pack-a-day lifetime smoker, quitting can be pretty tough. However, the more you learn about your options and prepare for quitting, the easier it will be. You can break the addiction, manage cravings, and join the millions of people who have kicked the habit for good.
If you are determined to stop smoking, you can make small changes to your lifestyle which can help you resist the temptation to light up. Try these quick and easy tips to quit smoking and start your path towards a healthier, smoke-free life.
1. Believe in yourself. Believe that you can quit smoking. Think about the most difficult things which you have done in your life and realize that you have the determination to quit smoking.
2. Sit down and write your own list once you are done reading this one. The list should be customized to your personality and how you do things. Make your own plan for quitting.
3. Write down why you want to quit smoking, such as: for your family, feel better, live longer, smell better, save money, find a mate more easily, etc. You know what you will get by quitting and you know what’s bad about smoking. Write it on paper and read it each day.
4. Ask your family as well as friends to support your decision. Ask them to be non-judgmental and supportive. They should know that you might be irrational and irritable while you are quitting your smoking habit.
5. Set a quit date. Decide which day you’ll quit smoking cigarettes forever. Prepare your mind for the first day of the rest of your life. Write it down and plan for it.
6. Start an exercise program. Exercising is just incompatible with smoking. Exercising helps your body recover from cigarettes and also relieves stress.
7. Do some deep breathing every 5 minutes. Breathe in, slowly, through the nose, hold the breath for a moment, and exhale, slowly, through the mouth.
8. Cut back on cigarettes gradually. These can be done by planning how many cigarettes you’ll smoke each day until the day you quit, changing brands so you don’t enjoy smoking as much, making the number you smoke smaller each day, and giving your cigarettes to someone else, so you have to ask for them every time you want to smoke.
9. Many people find that the only way they can truly quit smoking is to just quit abruptly without trying to slowly taper off.
10. Drink plenty of water. Most people don’t get enough water and it is good for you anyway. Water will help flush the nicotine as well as other chemicals out of your body.
11. Learn what triggers the desire for a cigarette. There are many things which can trigger this desire, such as the end of a meal, stress, arrival at work, entering a bar, etc. try to avoid these triggers or plan alternative ways to deal with them.
12. Find something to hold in your hand and mouth in order to replace cigarettes, such as artificial cigarette. You can also try drinking straws.