Anemia is a condition in which a person doesn’t have enough red blood cells in order to carry adequate oxygen to the tissues. A Person with anemia feels weak and tired.
A number of forms of anemia exist, and each has its own cause. One of the most common causes is the loss of blood. Anemia can range from mild to severe and it can be temporary or long term.
Also, each anemia has different treatment, such as taking supplements or undergoing medical procedures. However, some types of anemia can be prevented with proper, healthy diet. Since anemia can be a sign of serious illnesses, visit your doctor if you think that you have it.
This condition occurs when your blood doesn’t have enough red blood cells and it happen if your body destroys red blood cells, your body doesn’t make enough red blood cells, or if bleeding causes you to lose more red blood cells than your body can replace.
Common types and causes of anemias
There are many types of anemia and their causes include:
– Vitamin deficiency anemias: Your body needs vitamin B-12 and folate in order to produce sufficient numbers of healthy red blood cells.
– Aplastic anemia: This type of anemia is very rare but its life-threatening and is caused by a decrease in the bone marrow’s ability to produce red blood cells.
– Hemolytic anemias: This type of anemia happens when red blood cells in your body are destroyed faster than bona marrow can replace them.
– Iron deficiency anemia: This type of anemia is caused by a shortage of the element iron in your body.
– Anemia of chronic disease: Some chronic diseases, such as HIV/AIDS, cancer, Crohn’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and other chronic inflammatory disease, can interfere with the production of red blood cells in your body, which results in chronic anemia.
– Anemias associated with bone marrow disease: Diseases, such as myelofibrosis, myelodysplasia or leukemia, can cause anemia by affecting the production of blood in your bone marrow.
– Sickle cell anemia: This is serious type of anemia, which can be inherited. It is caused by a defective form of hemoglobin which forces red blood cells in your body to assume an abnormal crescent shape.
– Other anemias: There are also other types of anemia which are rarer, such as anemias caused by defective hemoglobin and thalassemia.
There are many symptoms which are common to all types of anemia, such as:
– Pale skin
– Feeling cold
– Difficulty breathing
– Feeling tired
Each anemia has different treatment which depends on the cause.
– Vitamin deficiency anemias: Vitamin C and folic acid deficiency anemias are with dietary supplements and therefore you should increase these nutrients in your diet.
– Aplastic anemia: This type of anemia is treated with blood transfusions in order to boost levels of red blood cells in your body.
– Hemolytic anemias: The treatment for this type of anemia includes avoiding suspect medications, taking drugs that suppress your immune system and treating related infections, which can be attacking red blood cells in your body.
– Iron deficiency anemia: This type of anemia is treated with iron supplements and changes in your diet.
– Anemia of chronic disease: Since there is no specific treatment for this anemia, doctors usually focus on the treatment of the underlying disease.
– Anemias associated with bone marrow disease: These various diseases can be treated with chemotherapy, bone marrow transplantation or simple medication.
– Sickle cell anemia: This type of anemia is treated with the administration of oxygen, oral and intravenous fluids, and pain-relieving drugs in order to reduce pain and prevent complications.
A lot of anemias cannot be prevented. But, you can help avoid vitamin deficiency anemias and iron deficiency anemia by choosing a diet which contains a lot of nutrients and vitamins.